[[Image:Faro de La Serena.jpg|thumb|258px|Faro of The City]]
{{Infobox Secondary school
[[Image:La Serena-Coquimbo-02.jpg|thumb|258px|The city of La Serena with the port city of [[Coquimbo, Chile|Coquimbo]] in the background]]
| name = Edinburgh Academy
[[Image:Plaza de Armas - La Serena.jpg|thumb|250px|Plaza de Armas]]
| motto = ''AIEN ARISTEUEIN'' (Always excel)
| established = 1824
| city = [[Edinburgh]]
| country = [[Scotland]]
| type = Boys' [[independent school]] ages 2-18<br />Girls in nursery and [[sixth form]].
| rector = J V Light
| founder = [[Henry Thomas Cockburn|Henry Cockburn]], [[Leonard Horner]] and John Russell
| enrollment = 51 (Nursery)<br>273 (Junior School)<br>454 (Senior School)[http://www.hmie.gov.uk/documents/inspection/TheEdinburghAcademy-a.html]
| website = [http://www.edinburghacademy.org.uk www.edinburghacademy.org.uk]
| picture = [[Image:Edinburgh_Academy_frontage.jpg|thumb|270px|The Senior School]]
}}
'''La Serena''' ("the serene one") is the second oldest city in [[Chile]]. The city, located 471 km north of [[Santiago, Chile|Santiago]], has a population of 147,815, according to the 2002 census. There are also 12,333 inhabitants of the immediately surrounding countryside. It is one of the fastest-growing areas of Chile, witnessing a population increase of 32.6% between [[1992]] and [[2002]].
It was first founded by Spaniard Captain [[Juan Bohón]] in [[September 4]] [[1544]] on the orders of [[Pedro de Valdivia]] in order to provide a sea link between Santiago and [[Lima]]. In [[1549]] the town was totally destroyed by local Indians and re-founded the same year by Captain Francisco de Aguirre in a safer ___location. The town has retained its historic architecture and this, along with a selection of beaches (known as Avenida del Mar, "Sea Avenue"), has caused the city to become a significant tourist centre, attracting many foreigners (most of them Argentines from San Juan and Mendoza provinces) during January, and later Santiago residents fleeing February heat.
'''The Edinburgh Academy''' is an independent school. This means it is self-governed and financed, though it remains subject to inspection by HMI and was last inspected in 2006.
Its traditional architecture consists of a series of housing and public buildings, of late 19th-century vintage, built with wood from the [[USA|US]] state of [[Oregon]] brought to Chile as counterweight in sailing vessels coming to [[Coquimbo]], the nearby port, to load copper and other minerals for transport back to the US. This Oregon pine and the use of [[adobe]] create the genuine image of the city.
It was opened in 1824. The original building, in Henderson Row on the northern fringe of the [[New Town, Edinburgh|New Town]] of [[Edinburgh]], [[Scotland]], is now part of the Senior School. The Junior School is located in Arboretum Road to the north of the city's famous Botanical Gardens.
There is also a number of remarkable and valuable small churches built of sedimentary stone quarried 5 km to the north of the [[Elqui River]], having a characteristic color and texture formed by myriad small shells. These churches are all roughly 350 years old and have undergone restoration to varying degrees, bringing them back to their original form. San Francisco, San Agustín, Santo Domingo are the names of a few of them.
The Edinburgh Academy is principally a day school, though it has a small international boarding community housed in purpose built accommodation adjacent to the playing fields. The co-educational nursery caters for children from 2 to 5. The boys-only Junior School presently admits boys from age 6 to 11 whilst the Senior School takes boys from age 11 to 18. Girls are admitted to the final two years of the Senior School, that is from the age of 16 plus. In October 2006 it was announced that from August 2007 The Junior School would extend co-education to all year groups except primary 6. The Senior School will become fully co-educational not later than August 2009, and earlier if practicable. It was stressed however that The Academy will remain a small school and small class sizes will remain a priority.
The Cathedral, built from the same stone, dates from the 19th century. It must be said that although it lacks the same historical value as the older churches, this is a stone building in a country prone to seismic activity, and has survived various earthquakes. Indeed, during centuries of existence, there is almost no visible damage. All of these churches, along with others of minor importance, provide a unique urban landscape, an image for the city, giving it the nickname "''The City of Churches''."
==Foundation==
In 1822, the school's founders, [[Henry Thomas Cockburn|Henry Cockburn]] and [[Leonard Horner]] agreed that Edinburgh required a new school to promote [[Classics|classical learning]]. Edinburgh's [[Royal High School (Edinburgh)|Royal High School]] provided a classical education, but the founders felt that greater provision was needed for the teaching of [[Ancient Greek|Greek]], to compete with some of England's [[public schools]]. Cockburn and Horner recruited [[John Russell WS|John Russell]] as a co-founder and the three of them, together with other interested parties, put a proposal to the City Council for the building of a new school. The City Fathers gave their approval in 1823 and fifteen Directors were elected, comprising the three founders and twelve other luminaries, including [[Walter Scott|Sir Walter Scott]], [[Sir John Hay, 6th Baronet|Sir John Hay]] and [[Robert Dundas, 2nd Viscount Melville|Robert Dundas]].
A few of the major sectors are: El Centro ("downtown"), Peñuelas (actually a suburb between La Serena and its sister city [[Coquimbo]]), San Joaquín (neighborhood on a hill overlooking the ocean), La Florida, Las Compañías ("the companies"), Cerro Grande ("big hill"), La Antena and the new El Milagro ("the miracle") development.
==The Buildings==
The main building of the Senior School, with its Greek [[Doric order|Doric]] frontage, was designed by architect [[William Burn]]. The stone used was principally from the nearby [[Craigleith Quarry]]. The Foundation Stone was laid in June 1823 and the school opened for the first session in October 1824. Interestingly when looking from Edinburgh Castle the Academy is perfectly obscured from view by the St Stephens Center. It was rumoured that W.H.Playfair who built the St Stephens Church did this out of spite after he had offered to design the Academy's Main Hall but was turned down in favour of Burns. In 1892, new classrooms were built along the western wall of the site, and in 1900, the School Library was opened, followed by the new Science Block in 1909, both along the eastern wall. At the back of the school the Dining Hall, and the Rifle Range beneath it, was opened in 1912 and after the [[Great War]], the Gymnasium was built. This was dedicated as a War Memorial to Edinburgh Academicals (former pupils) who had fallen during the hostilities of 1914 to 1918. A later plaque commemorates ex-pupils who fell in the [[Second World War]].
==External links==
In 1945, a new building, Denham Green House, was acquired in the Trinity area of Edinburgh. This was used for the junior department (now known as Early Years) of the Preparatory School (now known as The Edinburgh Academy Junior School.) In 1960, a new building for the upper three years of the Preparatory School was completed in Inverleith (Arboretum campus.) Denham Green's nursery and early years facilities were relocated to purpose built accommodation on the Preparatory school's Arboretum campus in 1987. In 1992, the Rector's residence, ''Academy House'' and in 1997, a new Games Hall were constructed on the same campus.
*[http://www.userena.cl// University of La Serena]
*[http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/85488.html/ weather forecast]
*[http://www.visit-chile.org/norte/h21.phtml Chilean tourist site for La Serena]
*[http://www.intimahinatravel.cl travel agency]
{{coor title dm|29|54|S|71|15|W|region:CL_type:city}}
[[Category:Cities in Chile]]
At Henderson Row, the property next to the school, No 32, was acquired for administrative use in 1972 and in 1977, the Academy acquired the junior school of [[Donaldson's College]], to the west. This allowed departments to expand and a purpose built Music School was opened on this part of the campus in 1991. In 2005 the 1909 science block was demolished and a new science block, the [[James Clerk Maxwell]] Centre, named in honour of the illustrious 19th century scientist and former pupil, was opened on 3rd November 2006 by [[Lord Falconer of Thoroton]][http://www.edinburghacademy.org.uk/news/061107.htm].
[[Category:Communes of Chile]]
[[Category:Capitals of Chilean regions]]
[[Category:Settlements established in 1544]]
[[Category:Cities and towns in Coquimbo Region]]
[[de:La Serena]]
==Traditions==
[[es:La Serena (Chile)]]
[[Image:Homere.jpg|right|160px|thumb|This marble bust of Homer is in the [[Louvre]].]]
[[fr:La Serena]]
In keeping with the classical traditions of the school, the school crest has always featured the head of [[Homer]], though at the start of the twenty-first century, this was removed from the official logo much to the anger of some members of the school community. From the foundation of the school, the headmaster has been known as the [[Rector]], a term common to several other Scottish secondary schools. The boys in the youngest year of the Senior School are referred to as ''Geits'', from the Old [[Scots language|Scots]] word for a child, while at the upper end of the school, the [[prefect]]s are known as ''Ephors'', after the [[Ephors|officials of ancient Sparta]].
[[it:La Serena]]
[[nl:La Serena]]
In 1905, the school was divided into four houses or ''Divisions'', '''Cockburn''', named after the founder [[Henry Thomas Cockburn|Henry Cockburn]], '''Carmichael''', named after a former teacher, James Carmichael, '''Kinross''', named after a former pupil [[John Balfour, 1st Baron Kinross]], and '''Houses''', representing the boys who lived in the boarding houses.
[[no:La Serena]]
[[pl:La Serena]]
At one time, schoolboys used to play [[Hailes]], a similar game to [[shinty]], also believed to have been played in the [[Royal High School (Edinburgh)|Royal High School]]. Today the tradition is represented only by an annual match at the end of the school session, when the ''Ephors'' play against the other leavers from the seventh year, a match usually played in fancy dress. Alumni of the Edinburgh Academy are known as ''Academicals'', or ''Accies'', a name shared with the [[rugby football|Rugby]] team.
[[pt:La Serena]]
[[sl:La Serena]]
Another of the school's hallowed traditions is the popular wall-game of 'Alcove', whereby pupils compete by hitting a tennis-ball into alcove-shaped recesses in the school's walls. Over the years, the game has acquired its own lexicography, much of which is compiled in a dictionay available in the school's library.
[[fi:La Serena]]
[[sv:La Serena]]
==Notable Alumni==
* [[Daniel Lyell]], landscape designer (1937-1999, EA 1944-1955)
* [[Craigie Aitchison R.A.]] painter (EA 1933-7 & 1941-2)
* [[Frederick Markham Bailey|Frederick M Bailey]], celebrated plant collector, discoverer of ''Mecanopsis baileyi''.
* [[R. M. Ballantyne]], children's author, (EA 1835-37).
* [[Joseph Bell|Dr Joseph Bell]], now recognised as the model for [[Sherlock Holmes]].
* [[Michael Blair (rugby player)|Mike Blair]], Scottish Rugby International.
*[[Guy Berryman]], bass player in Coldplay
* John D Burgess, Piper, Double Gold Medallist
* [[Francis Cadell (explorer)|Francis Cadell]], explorer of the Murray River in Australia.
* [[Francis Cadell (artist)|Francis 'Bunty' Cadell]], colourist painter.
* [[Michael Brown]] (architect) pioneer of landscape architecture in UK
* [[Nicky Campbell]], radio DJ and television presenter, (EA 1966-78).
* [[Andrew Cunningham, 1st Viscount Cunningham of Hyndhope|Admiral of the Fleet Andrew Cunningham]], victor of Taranto and Matapan during the [[Second World War]].
* [[William Cunningham]], economist
* [[Tam Dalyell]], former Father of the [[British House of Commons|House of Commons]].
* Lord Francis Douglas, with [[Whymper]] on the ascent of the Matterhorn, died on the descent.
* [[Charles Falconer, Baron Falconer of Thoroton|Charles Falconer, Lord Falconer of Thoroton]], Lord Chancellor.
* [[Alexander Penrose Forbes]], who became Bishop of [[Brechin]], (EA 1825-32).
* [[John Scott Haldane]], physiologist (EA 1870-76).
* [[Richard Burdon Haldane, 1st Viscount Haldane]], Lord Chancellor, 'Father of the Territorial Army' (EA 1866-72).
* Sir [[James Hector]], [[List of explorers|explorer]] and member of the [[Palliser Expedition]], (EA 1844-45).
* [[Fleeming Jenkin]], professor of engineering, (EA 1875-81).
* [[Paul Jones (singer)|Paul Jones]], singer, actor and presenter, (EA 1958-60).
* [[James Eckford Lauder]], artist of outstanding note who painted [[James Watt]], (EA 1824-8).
* [[Robert Scott Lauder]] jnr., M.D.,(Edinburgh), Physician at Morningside Lunatic Asylum, etc., (EA 1852-8)
* [[Magnus Magnusson]], television presenter, and translator of Icelandic origins, (EA 1935-48).
* [[James Clerk Maxwell]], physicist, (EA 1841-47).
* [[William Forbes Skene]], Scottish historian, (EA 1826-29).
* William Smith, London Police Commissioner at the time of the Whitechapel murders.
* [[Ninian Stephen|Sir Ninian Stephen]], Governor General of Australia.
* [[Kenneth William Stevenson|Kenneth Stevenson]], Bishop of Portsmouth.
* [[Robert Louis Stevenson]], writer, (EA 1861-63).
* Allen Stewart, designer of the [[Forth Bridge (railway)|Forth Bridge]].
* [[Archibald Campbell Tait]], who became [[Archbishop of Canterbury]], (EA 1824-27).
* [[Frederick Guthrie Tait]], son of Peter Guthrie Tait, soldier and gifted amateur golfer, (EA 1881-83).
* [[Peter Guthrie Tait]], physicist, (EA 1841-47).
* [[Iain Torrance]], President of Princeton Theological Seminary, (EA 1954-63).
* [[George Younger, 1st Viscount Younger of Leckie]], (EA 1864-67).
* [[J. I. M. Stewart]], university professor and mystery writer (as Michael Innes)
==Rectors of the Edinburgh Academy==
*1824-28: John Williams
*1828-29: Thomas Sheepshanks
*1829-47: John Williams
*1847-54: John Hannah
*1854-69: James Hodson
*1869-88: Thomas Harvey
*1888-1901: Robert Mackenzie
*1901-10: Reginald Carter
*1910-26: Robert Ferard
*1926-31: Hugh Lyon
*1931-45: Lionel Smith
*1945-51: George Seaman
*1951-62: Robert Watt
*1962-77: Herbert Mills
*1977-92: Laurence Ellis
*1992-95: John Rees
*1995-present: John Light
==Sources==
*Magnusson, Magnus (1974), ''The Clacken and the Slate'', Collins, London. ISBN 0-00-411170-2
*Edinburgh Academical Club (1995), ''List of Past and Present Pupils 1824-1995'', Edinburgh Academical Club
*Stirling, Bill (1999), ''175 Accies'', Edinburgh Academical Club
== External links ==
*[http://www.edinburghacademy.org.uk/ The School website]
*[http://www.accie.org/ Edinburgh Academical Club website]
*[http://www.edinburghaccies.com/ Edinburgh Academical (Rugby) Football Club] Official Site
*[http://www.acciescricket.co.uk/ Edinburgh Academical Cricket Club] Official Site
[[Category:Boys schools in England]]
[[Category:Private schools in Scotland]]
[[Category:Schools in Edinburgh]]
[[Category:Schools with Combined Cadet Forces]]
[[Category:Organisations based in Scotland with royal patronage]]
[[Category:Members of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference]]
[[Category:Educational institutions established in 1824]]
|