Forest Hills, Boston and Lawrence Anthony Earth Organization: Difference between pages

(Difference between pages)
Content deleted Content added
 
m cats and wikify
 
Line 1:
{{npov}}
:''This article is about an area of [[Boston]], [[Massachusetts]]. There are several other places named [[Forest Hills]] in the [[United States]] and elsewhere.''
[[Image:TEO1.jpg|right|]]
[[Image:Fhills.jpg|thumb|right|355px|[[Triple decker]]s on Forest Hills Street, [[Boston, Massachusetts]].]]
'''The Earth Organization''' is an independent, international [[non-profit]], [[non-partisan]], conservation and environmental organization, with new solutions, committed to the creative, responsible rehabilitation of planet Earth and the plant and animal kingdoms.
'''Forest Hills''' is a part of the [[Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts|Jamaica Plain]] neighborhood of [[Boston]], [[Massachusetts]].
 
The Earth Organization was founded in 2003 by veteran [[South African]] conservationist [[Lawrence Anthony]].
==Overview==
 
The Earth Organization works in association with corporations and other environmental groups around the world in projects of mutual interest.
As the name indicates, Forest Hills is characterized by [[hill]]y terrain and [[forest|wooded]] areas within and adjacent to its borders. In general, the area slopes upward from Hyde Park Ave and downward from Walk Hill Street.
 
==Purpose==
Forest Hills is primarily residential, although a number of small [[business]]es ([[convenience store]], [[tavern]], [[dojo|martial arts studio]], [[Beauty salon|hairdresser]], etc.) are clustered around the [[train station]]. Single family homes predominate, but [[triple decker]]s dominate other streets. Some streets have both one family and multi-family homes. Many of the later have "gone [[condominium|condo]]".
The stated purpose of The Earth Organization is:
 
#''To create a fundamental change in mankind’s awareness of, and relationship to, his environment and the plant and animal kingdoms, by example and education, thereby reversing the downward spiral of life on Earth.''
Except for a few major thoroughfares, most of Forest Hills is characterized by curving, [[tree]]-lined streets laid out in irregular patterns indicative of how the area was thoughtfully transformed from country estates into a [[streetcar suburb]].
#''To bridge the gap between mankind, industry, commerce and the environment through applicable environmentalism, workable tools, accurate data and a business and scientific approach to the field of the environment.''
#''To raise ethical standards within the conservation movement.''
 
The Earth Organization has a strong scientific orientation and a reputation for bold conservation initiatives, including the rescue of the [[Baghdad zoo]] during the coalition [[invasion of Iraq]] in April 2003, negotiations with the infamous Ugandan [[Lords Resistance Army]], to protect game rangers and raise awareness of endangered species, including the [[Northern White Rhinoceros]], and work with remote rural African communities to rebuild cultural and traditional ties to nature.
Although spaced relatively close together, homes are generally well-kept and many have lush [[garden]]s, interesting [[Architectural style|architectural]] details and so forth. A variety of home styles are represented including [[Arts and Crafts movement|Arts & Crafts]], [[Cape Cod (house)|Cape Cod]], [[Colonial Revival]], [[Queen Anne Style architecture|Queen Anne]], [[Tudorbethan architecture|Tudor Revival]] and [[Victorian architecture|Victorian]].<ref>[http://www.jphs.org/20thcentury/woodbourne-and-the-boston-1915-movement.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society]</ref>
 
Through the activities of its scientific advisory board, The Earth Organization forwards and supports environmental education, targeting different age and culture groups, with the intention of firmly entrenching environmental education as a part of the syllabus of educational institutions.
For much of [[20th century]], Forest Hills was an unmistakably [[White people|White]] [[middle class]] section of Boston, with neither [[public housing]] nor areas of [[affluence]]. In the last generation, this area has become not only [[racial integration|racially integrated]], but has also undergone a degree of [[gentrification]].
 
The Earth Organization is registered as an independent non-profit organization in South Africa, with branches in the USA, France, Canada, Hungary and Slovakia.
These changes have been fueled, in part, by the close proximity of the [[Longwood Medical and Academic Area|Longwood Area]], [[School of the Museum of Fine Arts, Boston|Museum School]], [[Massachusetts College of Art|Mass Art]], and [[Northeastern University, Boston|Northeastern]], all of which can be reached by [[public transportation]]. [[Downtown Crossing]] and the [[Financial District, Boston, Massachusetts|Financial District]] are equally accessible, taking only a little longer to reach.
 
==TopicsExternal links==
*[http://www.earthorganization.org Official Website]
*[http://www.earthorganization.org/WhoWeAre.aspx?CatID=1 The Earth Organization Scientific Advisory Board]
*[http://www.lawrenceanthony.co.za Founder of The Earth Organization]
 
[[category:animal charities]]
===Borders===
[[category:Environmental organizations based in South Africa]]
[[Image:Foresthillsmap.jpg|px433|thumb|right|Forest Hills is roughly the triangular area bisected by Walk Hill Street. The gray area North of Walk Hill Street is [[Forest Hills Cemetery]].]]
 
Forest Hills is not an officially-designated area of the city nor have its borders been defined. Generally, "Forest Hills" refers to the area immediately surrounding the train station, plus the residential areas on the East side of Hyde Park Avenue extending perhaps as far as Cummings Highway or perhaps only as far as Walk Hill Street.<ref>Even the borders of officially-designated neighborhoods within the city, such as [[Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts|Jamaica Plain]] and [[Roslindale, Massachusetts|Roslindale]], do not have defined borders and might be (for example) served by the [[USPS|post office]] of one neighborhood but be listed as part of another neighborhood by a [[realtor]]. For example <blockquote>
"The Canterbury urban wild area southeast of the Forest Hills Cemetery between Canterbury Street and American Legion Highway has an ambiguous identity. Under various definitions, the Canterbury parcel is a part of Roslindale, Jamaica Plain, and Mattapan." [http://ksgaccman.harvard.edu/hotc/DisplayIssue.asp?id=93 <br /> ("Neighborhood boundaries", Rappaport Institute for Greater Boston)]
</blockquote> </ref>
 
More often, Forest Hills refers to a roughly triangular area laying between Hyde Park Avenue, American Legion Highway and Morton Street, except for those areas separated from the rest by the cemeteries.
 
This triangle is bisected by Walk Hill Street. The blocks South of Walk Hill Street were once regarded as the White City area of Jamaica Plain, Now they are regarded as the Woodbourne area. White City and Woodbourne are discussed in this article under their own headings.
 
===Early History===
 
The first [[Europe|European]] known to have settled in Forest Hills was [[Weld Family|Capt. Joseph Weld]] (ancestor of former [[Governor of Massachusetts]] [[William Weld]]), the youngest of three [[immigration|immigrant]] brothers from [[England]] and a veteran of the [[Pequot War]] of [[1637]]. For his efforts in that conflict and subsequent negotiations, the leaders of [[Massachusetts Bay Colony]] awarded him 278 untamed acres in what is now the Forest Hills area of Jamaica Plain.
 
His descendant [[Weld Family|Col. Eleazer Weld]], one of seven Weld family members who fought in the [[American Revolutionary War]], bequeathed some of his land to fellow patriot [[Benjamin Bussey]]. His combined acreage was subsequently willed to [[Harvard University]] and become the basis for [[Arnold Arboretum]].
 
In [[1845]], the Welds sold a large piece of land that would later become the Woodbourne area to William Minot, a fellow [[Yankee]] farmer. As the [[New England]] economy shifted from an [[agriculture|agricultural]] base to a [[Age of sail|mercantile]] base, the Welds divided their land into smaller parcels for [[Boston Brahmin|elite Bostonian]] friends and relatives. Some lived here year round; for others it was a rural retreat from Boston’s summer heat and seasonal [[cholera]] outbreaks.
 
The [[Weld Family|Weld family]] and families to whom they were connected -- especially Guild, Minot, Perkins, Olney, Peters and Rodman -- were associated with Jamaica Plain for generations. A number of local statesmen were drawn from these families, and many of them became wealthy or famous.
 
[[Richard Olney]] built what might be the first [[tennis court]] in Boston on what is now Patten Street. [[George Minot]] won a [[Nobel Prize]]. [[William Fletcher Weld]] (whose mother was a Minot) left behind a $20 million dollar fortune. [[Stephen Minot Weld, Jr.]] and [[George H. Perkins]] were [[American Civil War|Civil War]] heroes. [[Andrew James Peters]] (who married a Minot), became [[Mayor of Boston]]. A previous incarnation of [[Perkins School for the Blind]] stood atop Wachusett Street.
 
In the early [[1900s]], the arrival of public transportation brought increasing numbers of working-class people and rich Yankee families abandoned Forest Hills. Some returned to ancestral haunts on [[Beacon Hill]] or in [[Brookline]]. Others went farther south to [[Dedham, Massachusetts|Dedham]] or [[Westwood, Massachusetts|Westwood]] or even left the state entirely.
 
===Forest Hills Station===
 
[[ Image:Foresthillsstation.jpg|333px|right|thumb|View of the original [[Forest Hills (MBTA station)|Forest Hills Station]] (on the right) circa 1905]]
 
[[Forest Hills (MBTA station)|Forest Hills Station]] is the Southern terminus of the [[Orange Line (MBTA)|MBTA Orange Line]] which runs from here, through [[Downtown Crossing]], and to [[Malden, Massachusetts|Malden]] on the [[North Shore (Massachusetts)|North Shore]].
 
The lower level of the station is a depot-area for [[MBTA]] [[bus]]es. The an area adjacent to the station is a depot for MBTA buses and [[trolley]]s.
 
This station created the impetus for development of the local area since the [[Boston & Providence Railroad]] opened in 1834. The local area got its name after the establishment of the eponymous cemetery in 1848; subsequently, that name was applied to the station.
 
The original Forest Hills Station was a large [[red brick]] structure built in the [[1800s]]. In the early 1900s, the traditional tracks to the North were replaced with an [[elevated railway]] which lead into Boston and connected with the city's [[Subway (rail)|subway]], the oldest in the nation..
 
The elevated track and the original station were torn down in the early [[1980s]]. The station was replaced with the current, [[modernism|modern style]] station and [[clock tower]] designed by [[Cambridge Seven Associates]] and completed in [[1987]].
 
The Monsignor William J. Casey Overpass (a.k.a. Morton Street overpass) stands just North of the Station.
 
===Green Areas===
 
Forest Hills is surrounded by the three finals "links" of the [[Emerald Necklace]] park system designed by [[Frederick Law Olmsted]] in the 1800s: [[Arnold Arboretum]], [[Arborway]] and [[Franklin Park]]. While teaching on "Schoolmaster's Hill" in Franklin Park, Ralph Waldo Emerson boarded on Morton Street near present-day Forest Hills Station in the same house used by feminist [[Margaret Fuller]].<ref>[http://www.jphs.org/sources/2005/4/10/a-guide-to-jamaica-plain.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society]</ref>
 
There is a baseball field at the top of Wachusett Street which is bordered by trees and adjacent to the well-maintained Parkman Playground. There are also small, nameless patches of woodland, such as the one between Patten Street and Eldridge Road.
 
[[Image:Angel of Peace.jpg|444px|thumb|right|''Angel of Peace'', a memorial sculpture at [[Forest Hills Cemetery]]]]
A large portion of Forest Hills is occupied by [[Forest Hills Cemetery]], a 275-acre [[park]] and [[arboretum]] recognized as one of the finest 19th century [[Rural cemetery|rural cemeteries]] in the country and listed on the [[National Register of Historic Places]]. [[Eugene O'Neill]], [[E.E. Cummings|e.e. cummings]] and [[William Lloyd Garrison]] are among the famous people buried here.
 
St. Michael’s Cemetery & Crematory (across Walk Hill Street from the Forest Hills Cemetery) is smaller but shares the [[garden]]-like quality of its larger neighbor.
 
Calvary Cemetery, Mt. Hope Cemetery and New Calvary Cemetery are also large in size but are more traditional (i.e. level and sparsely-wooded) burial grounds that lay on the opposite side of American Legion Highway. All these cemeteries forms "dead areas" that separate Forest Hills from the nearest sections of [[Mattapan]] and [[Roxbury, Massachusetts|Roxbury]].<ref>[http://ksgaccman.harvard.edu/hotc/DisplayPlace.asp?id=11559 Rappaport Institute]</ref><ref>The term "dead area" does not refer specifically to cemeteries. Rather, it is an [[civil engineering]] term that describes an area without residences, businesses or significant pedestrian traffic. One effect of this is that [[Franklin Park]] is usually discussed in the context of [[Mattapan]] and [[Roxbury, Massachusetts|Roxbury]] rather than in the context of [[Jamaica Plain, Massachusetts|Jamaica Plain]]. </ref>
 
Outcroppings of [[Roxbury puddingstone]] dot the landscape, both within the green areas and in unexpected locations, such as the immense lump of [[puddingstone]] on Wachusett Street across from the Parkman School.
 
===Hyde Park Ave===
 
Hyde Park Avenue extends from Forest Hills Station out to [[Hyde Park, Massachusetts|Hyde Park]]. With two lanes of each side of its divide, it is the largest street in the area. A few businesses dot its length. The avenue (and the adjacent [[Rail tracks|train tracks]]) form a border between Jamaica Plain and [[Roslindale, Massachusetts|Roslindale]].<ref>Ukraine Way (about a block South of Forest Hills Station) has/is the only bridge in Forest Hills that spans the train tracks and connects Hyde Park Ave and Washington Street, making these tracks one of the most certain and impenetrable barriers between Boston neighborhoods. It is notable that predominately [[Black people|Black]] and [[Hispanic]] [[housing project]]s stand on the Roslindale side of this divide. Prior to local [[racial integration|integration]], this lent a very specific connotation to the invidious phrase "wrong side of the tracks."</ref>
 
When Forest Hills Station was rebuilt, the City of Boston installed large, antique-style [[lamppost]]s down the center of Hyde Park Ave. Still, with four lanes of traffic, a tiny car dealership, and train tracks running parallel to its Western side, this street lacks the charm possessed by many others in Jamaica Plain.
 
===Parkman School===
 
In 1896, the City of Boston acquired an acre of land from [[Andrew James Peters]] for a school designed by [[Perkins|Charles B. Perkins]] to be placed at the corner of Wachusett Street and Walk Hill Street. The school was named after [[Francis Parkman]], local scholar whose summer home overlooked [[Jamaica Pond]].
 
Francis Parkman School now houses two city educational programs: the ''Barton Assessment Center'' and ''The Young Achievers School'', a city-wide [[Charter school|pilot school]] dedicated to [[science]] and [[mathematics]]. The later program also occupies space in the Upham Church and school officials are considering expansion into one or more of the properties that comprise St. Andrew's.<ref>[http://www.jamaicaplaingazette.com/node/394 Jamaica Plain Gazette]</ref>
 
===Seaver School===
 
On the late 1920s, the City of Boston acquired land for a school to be built between Eldridge Road and Northbourne. The city leveled the parcel and built a huge concrete retaining wall in the rear. The red brick building was designed with a [[Georgian architecture|Georgian Revival]] style by John F. Cullen and completed in 1930. Side wings were added the following year.
 
The school was eventually named after Edwin P. Seaver, Superintendent of Schools in Boston from 1880 to 1904. For much of the 20th century, this school provided education for grades K-8, Many local children attended [[kindergarten]] here, even those who would later attend St. Andrew's School from 1st grade and beyond.
 
The Edwin P. Seaver building was sold by the city and turned into condominiums in 1983 by the Finch/Abbey Group and is now one of the largest residential buildings in Forest Hills. The former schoolyards now serve as parking for residents.
 
===St. Andrew's Parish===
 
''St. Andrew the Apostle Church'' was built by the [[Archdiocese of Boston]] in [[1918]]. It stands on the corner of Walk Hills Street and Wachusett Street diagonally across from where the city built the Parkman School some two decades earlier.
 
In [[1942]],'' St. Andrew the Apostle School'' was opened adjacent to the church. A [[convent]] next to the school housed the [[Sisters of Charity of Saint Elizabeth|Sisters of Charity]] who staffed it. A [[rectory]] next to the church was home to four or more [[priest]]s at a time. Eventually, a building directly across the street from St. Andrew's Church was purchased to serve as a "community hall."
 
By the late [[1940s]], Forest Hills (on both sides of the Walk Hill Street divide) was predominantly [[Irish Catholic]]. [[Roman Catholicism|Catholics]] of other ethnic groups (particularly [[Italian Americans|Italians]] but also [[French people|French]], [[Polish people|Poles]], [[Portuguese people|Portuguese]], [[Scottish people|Scots]] and others) were also present but were collectively outnumbered by the [[Irish people|Irish]].
 
Although small numbers of non-Catholics remained in the area, for the second half of the [[20th century]], "Forest Hills" and "St. Andrew's Parish" were virtually synonymous.
 
The 1970s [[Desegregation busing|busing crisis]] that erupted with violence in Boston neighborhoods such as [[Dorchester, Massachusetts|Dorchester]] and [[South Boston]] less visible effect in Jamaica Plain parishes such as St. Andrew's or its neighboring parent church ''St. Thomas Aquinas'' near Jamaica Plain Centre. Most White families in Jamaica Plain could afford to send their children to [[parochial schools]], and did.<ref>[[Boston College]] professor emeritus Thomas H. O'Connor has discussed the economic class issues surrounding the [[Desegregation busing|busing crisis]] in several of his works (see bibliography). He notes that Boston's more financially-able "lace curtain Irish" resisted [[racial integration]] not through protests and riots, but by enrollment in [[parochial school]]s followed with enrollment in one of [[Greater Boston]]'s many private Catholic [[prep schools]]. </ref>
 
During this time in which Forest Hills was mostly Irish-Catholic, two public schools operated within its borders: the Parkman and the Seaver. Students at these schools were mostly [[Black people|Black]] and [[Latino]], reflecting the composition of Jamaica Plain as a whole. They travelled back and forth by yellow [[schoolbus]] and there was little interaction between these schools and the all-White residents of the area.
 
A thriving parish for much of the 1900s, St. Andrew's suffered a change in at the end of the century. The surrounding area became increasingly [[heterogeneous]], ethnically and culturally. Some locals resisted these changes and left the area in the process sometimes called "[[Suburban colonization|urban flight]]," further reducing the number the number of active parishners.
 
Another strong factor in the decline of attendance and revenue at St. Andrew's was dissatisfaction with the Archdiocese in the wake of the [[Roman Catholic sex abuse cases|Church sex scandal]] which came to light at this time. Forest Hills parishners had particular cause to feel betrayed. [[John Geoghan|John J. Geoghan]], one of the most notorious molesters among Catholic [[clergy]], served at St. Andrew's from 1974 to 1980 and ran the [[altar boy]] program. Patrick McSorley, one of Geoghan's most visible accusers, was from this parish.<ref>[http://boston.com/globe/spotlight/abuse/stories/010602_geoghan.htm Boston Globe]</ref>
 
St. Andrew's School closed in 2000 although [[liturgy|masses]] were sometimes held in the church after that. St. Andrew's School closed at the end of school year 2005. Students who had not yet graduated were given the option to attend Sacred Heart School in [[Roslindale, Massachusetts|Roslindale].<ref>[http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2005/06/07/catholic_school_set_for_closing/ Boston Globe]</ref>
 
===Toll Gate Bridge===
 
Before the trains were built in the 1830s, the area that is now Forest Hills Station was known as (the) Toll Gate.
 
The [[Norfolk and Bristol Turnpike]] was created in 1803, providing a main route between Boston and [[Providence, Rhode Island]]. The [[Hartford and Dedham Turnpike]] was chartered the following year, serving as a main road through to [[Hartford, Connecticut]].<ref>[http://www.dedhamhistorical.org/history.php Dedham Historical Society]</ref>
 
At the facility which stood at what is now the MBTA station, carts and wagons from Roxbury and environs were weighed and charged a toll before being allowed onto the privately-owned turnpike. The turnpike became unprofitable and changed into a public road in 1857. In 1874, it was renamed Washington Street and it remains the one of the longest streets in the Commonwealth.<ref>[http://www.jphs.org/locales/2004/1/1/woodbourne-historic-district.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society]</ref>
 
Long after the train station had acquired the name "Forest Hills," its older identity was preserved name in the name of the ''Toll Gate Bridge'' a metal footbridge that crossed the railroad tracks at the point where Walk Hill Street meets Hyde Park Ave. This structure was floored with wooden planks but had an over-all appearance not unlike an elongated birdcage, painted green.
 
The bridge was dismantled in the [[1990s]] after Ukraine Way (nearer the station) provided a crossing point for both pedestrians and traffic. However, its large, [[concrete]] supporting [[pylons]] are still in place, along with remnants of the metal structure. Next to the pylons there is a small, neglected graveyard containing a few centuries-old [[grave]]s and a monument to [[Irish-American]] war dead created in the 1980s and then seemingly forgotten.
 
===Upham Church===
 
Upham Memorial Church, a small [[Methodism|Methodist]] church at the corner of Wachusett and Patten Streets, was completed in 1901. Previously, Forest Hills Methodist Society had been holding services in a rented hall in the Forest Hills area. Designed by [[Hutchinson|James G. Hutchinson]], this church was in a Tudor Revival style with a corner tower and half-timbering. A later addition was added in 1925.
 
As this area became increasingly Catholic after World War II, attendance dropped sharply. The church closed in 1[[969]] and remained boarded up and unused until acquired by the [[Knights of Columbus]] in [[1977]]. The K's of C added aluminum siding shortly thereafter, obscuring much of the architectural details of the original structure.
 
This building, along with the Parkman School, now houses ''The Young Achievers School'', a city-wide pilot school that may expand into the buildings once used by St. Andrew's.<ref>[http://www.jamaicaplaingazette.com/node/394 Jamaica Plain Gazette]</ref>
 
===Wachusett Street===
 
Wachusett Street starts near the top of Walk Hill Street, peaks at Parkman Playground, then descends sharply through the intersection of Walk Hill Street (where St. Andrew’s Church and Parkman School are located). It continues downhill sharply, passes the Young Achievers School (originally the Upham Memorial Church) and levels off at Eldridge Road, It continues on level ground for a few blocks and curls to an end at Florian Street in the most distinctive part of the Woodbourne area.
 
===Walk Hill Street===
[[Image:Parkman.jpg|333px|thumb|right|Francis Parkman School on Walk Hill Street looking South. The Upham Memorial Church on Wachusett Street can be seen in the background. Both structures were new at the time of this circa 1907 photo.]]
 
Walk Hill Street is a major thoroughfare in the area and dates from the [[1700s]] or before. Where the street begins at Hyde Park Ave there is a small cluster of businesses. From there, Walk Hill Street and climbs towards the intersection of Wachusett Street where the Parkman School Building and St. Andrew's Church are located.
 
From this intersection, the Walk Hill Street levels out.
The Walk Hill Street continues West from its intersection with Wachusett Street and eventually crosses American Legion Highway and enters [[Mattapan]] and [[Roxbury, Massachusetts|Roxbury]].
 
Much of the length of Walk Hill Street has cemeteries behind tall, [[wrought-iron]] fences on one or both sides of the street.
 
Some well-informed parties, such as the Jamaica Plain Neighborhood Council, have regarded the area North of this street as the Weld Hill section and the area South of it as the Woodbourne section.
[[Image:Eldridge.jpg|333px|thumb|right|House on Eldridge Road, two blocks from where White City Cleansers and White City Food Store once stood. The term "White City" has fallen into disuse and the area is once again known as Woodbourne.]]
 
===White City===
 
In 1914, four apartment buildings covered with light [[stucco]] were erected on Hyde Park Ave far South of the train station. The complex was called "White City" in emulation of the [[World's Columbian Exposition]] a decade earlier.<ref>[http://www.jphs.org/20thcentury/woodbourne-and-the-boston-1915-movement.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society]</ref>
 
The name was later borrowed by the White City Food Store and the White City Cleansers (sic) on the corner of Hyde Park Ave and Eldridge Road, thus putting the "White City" name on two large signs visible even to those whizzing by on Hyde Park Ave. <ref>"Cleansers", pronounced "Cleaners", is still seen on signs in the Boston-area.</ref>
 
White City came to be regarded as its own section of Jamaica Plain, or (less frequently, as a subsection of Forest Hills). It's borders were seen as Walk Hill Street, Hyde Park Ave and St. Michael's Cemetery. The area now thought of as "Woodbourne" was contained within.
 
An anonymous ''Jamaica Plain Library'' chronicler in the 1930's describes Jamaica Plain of that time as follows:
 
<blockquote>
Quite a number of colored families now reside in the less attractive area in the vicinity of the railroad tracks. There are now very few descendants of the original settlers in Jamaica Plain. The more prolific Irish Catholic families have replaced them in numbers as well as influence. The present population of approximately 19,000 is predominantly Catholic of Irish descent.<ref> [http://www.jphs.org/sources/2005/4/10/a-guide-to-jamaica-plain.html Guide to Jamaica Plain]</ref></blockquote>
 
The number of [[Black people]] the station decreased later in the century but were replaced by a few [[Asian American]] and [[Latino]] families. The area around and South of Walk Hill Street remained non-integrated with few scant exceptions (for example, one somewhat affluent [[Filipino people|Filipino]] moved into the Woodbourne area in the late 1970s and sent their children to St. Andrew's School).
 
The origins of the name "White City" having been forgotten by this time, the name had by now acquired a specific meaning in the context of racially-tense Boston. White City was the last essentially all-White area of Jamaica Plain (with the possible exception of the palatial homes lining the [[Jamaicaway]]). Houses up for sale in the area were listed as being in White City and sold for more money than those listed as Forest Hills. <ref>[http://ksgaccman.harvard.edu/hotc/DisplayPlace.asp?id=11559 Rappaport Institute]</ref>
 
After the Woodbourne area was designated as historic and the area became integrated, Woodbourne replaced White City in conversation and realty listings. White City Cleansers was renamed around 2003; its sign was the last prominent reminder of the name that was once given to this section of Jamaica Plain. The name, and the racial connotations it coincidentally acquired, are largely forget.
 
===Woodbourne===
[[Image:Bourne.jpg|303px|thumb|right|Portion of a 1895 ward map showing how the area between Eldridge Street (now Eldridge Road) and the crematory was farms belonging to the Minot family and was not yet developed into the Woodbourne area. Note how Wachusett Street continues for only three lots beyond Eldridge Road then opens up into the Minot estates.]]
 
The Woodbourne [[National Historic Landmark|National Historic Landmark District]] is a 30-acre parcel southwest of Forest Hills Cemetery, roughly bounded by Walk Hill Street, Goodway Street, and Wachusett Street. This area was developed into house lots in the early [[1900s]] and [[Frederick Law Olmsted, Jr.]] was responsible for some of its layout.<ref>[http://www.jphs.org/20thcentury/woodbourne-and-the-boston-1915-movement.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society]</ref>
 
The "bourne" element in streets such as Southbourne and Bournedale is taken from Bourne Street, a road established around 1820. Bourne Street begins at Walk Hill Street across from Forest Hills Cemetery, meanders through a scenic residential area and St. Michael’s cemetery, then comes to an end at Canterbury Street and Mt. Hope Cemetery.
 
The most distinctive homes in this section are designed to resemble [[gable]]d [[England|English]] [[cottage]]s and are situated around a common [[courtyard]]. While the means to flatten out this terrain was readily available, developers chose to retain the uneven character of the landscape. <ref>[http://www.jphs.org/20thcentury/woodbourne-and-the-boston-1915-movement.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society]</ref>
 
Since Woodbourne was designated as a landmark district a few years ago, homeowners and realtors almost invariably advertise homes there as belonging to the "Woodbourne area" rather than saying that they are in "Forest Hills". Nevertheless, this area was designed and advertised with the proximity of the train station in mind, was an integral part of the [[Roman Catholic]] parish of St. Andrew the Apostle, and was thought of as part of Forest Hills by its residents throughout the 20th century.
 
==Notes==
 
<references/>
 
==References==
 
*[http://www.bostonareahomesales.com/jamaica_plain.html Boston Area Homes]
*[http://www.boston.com/news/education/k_12/articles/2005/06/07/catholic_school_set_for_closing/ Boston Globe, "Catholic school set for closing"]
*[http://boston.com/globe/spotlight/abuse/stories/010602_geoghan.htm Boston Globe, "Church allowed abuse by priest"]
*[http://www.dedhamhistorical.org/history.php Dedham Historical Society, "A capsule history of Dedham"]
*[http://www.harvardmag.com/nd98/welds.html Harvard Magazine, "The Welds of Harvard Yard"]
*[http://www.jamaicaplaingazette.com/node/394 Jamaica Plain Gazette, October 20, 2006]
*[http://www.jphs.org/people/2006/11/14/the-father-of-forest-hills.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society, Boston Daily Globe article from July 5, 1908]
*[http://www.jphs.org/sources/2005/4/10/a-guide-to-jamaica-plain.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society, "Guide to Jamaica Plain"]
*[http://www.jphs.org/people/2005/4/14/weld-family.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society, "Weld Family"]
*[http://www.jphs.org/20thcentury/woodbourne-and-the-boston-1915-movement.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society, "Woodbourne and the Boston 1915 Movement"]
*[http://www.jphs.org/locales/2004/1/1/woodbourne-historic-district.html Jamaica Plain Historical Society, "Woodbourne Historic District"]
*[http://ksgaccman.harvard.edu/hotc/DisplayPlace.asp?id=11416 Rappaport Institute for Greater Boston, "Forest Hills MBTA Station"]
*[http://ksgaccman.harvard.edu/hotc/DisplayPlace.asp?id=11559 Rappaport Institute for Greater Boston, "Forest Hills Street"]
 
==Bibliography==
 
*Bergeron, Ralph. ''Housing the Middle Class Man'', Technical World 14, no. 2, April 1913
*Boston Dwelling House Company. ''Woodbourne: A Real Estate Development of the Boston Dwelling House Company''. Boston: Walton Advertising and Printing Co..
*Boston American. "Scientific Model House Community", December 19,1911
*Boston Herald. Articles (April 24, 1899; May 8, 1904; April 18, 1913; July 3, 6, 1913)
*Candee, Richard and Greer Hardwicke. ''Early Twentieth Century Reform Housing by Kilham & Hopkins Architects of Boston'', Winterthur Portfolio, Spring 1987, no. 1, vol. 22.
*Channing, K.M. ''Minot Family Letters, 1773 -1871''. Sherborn, Mass., 1957.
*City of Boston. Inspectional Services Department. Building permits.
*Croly, Herbert. "The Work of Kilham & Hopkins, Architects of Boston, Mass." Architectural Record 31, no. 2 (Feb. 1912).
*Drake, Francis S. ''The Town of Roxbury.'' Boston: Alfred Mudge and Son, 1878.
*Eggat, Gerald. ''Richard Olney, Evolution of a Statesman.'' 1847.
*A Genealogical Record of the Minot Family in America and New England. Boston, 1897.
*Heath, Richard. ''Summer House to Garden Suburb: A History of Woodbourne in the Forest Hills Section of Jamaica Plain'', Boston, 1997.
*O'Connor, Thomas H. Bibles, ''Brahmins, and Bosses: A Short History of Boston.''Trustees of the Public Library of the City of Boston, 1984.
*O'Connor, Thomas H. ''Boston Catholics: A History of the Church and Its People.'' Northeastern University Press, 2000.