Content deleted Content added
Svitapeneela (talk | contribs) No edit summary |
Now W&F |
||
(58 intermediate revisions by 36 users not shown) | |||
Line 1:
{{short description|Former railway station in Westmorland, England}}
'''Tebay''' railway station was situated on the [[Lancaster and Carlisle Railway]] (the [[West Coast Main Line]]) between [[Lancaster railway station|Lancaster]] and [[Penrith railway station|Penrith]]. It served the village of [[Tebay]]. The station opened in 1852, and closed on 1st July [[1968]].▼
{{Use dmy dates|date=November 2017}}
{{Use British English|date=November 2017}}
{{Infobox station
| name = Tebay
| status = Disused
| image = Tebay railway station 2109528 6c6948c2.jpg
| caption = Down WCML express passing Tebay Station in 1961
| borough = [[Tebay]], [[Westmorland and Furness]]
| country = England
| coordinates = {{coord|54.4270|-2.5982|type:railwaystation_region:GB|display=inline,title}}
| platforms = 3
| original = [[Lancaster and Carlisle Railway]]
| pregroup = [[London and North Western Railway]]
| postgroup = [[London, Midland and Scottish Railway]]
| years = 17 Dec 1846<ref>Railway Passenger Stations by M.Quick page 445</ref>
| events = Opened
| years2 = 1 July 1968
| events2 = Closed
}}
[[File:Unidentified 8f at tebay 8816419236.jpg|thumb|right|A scene at Tebay with an unidentified 8F.]]
[[File:Rth Rly LNWR Tebay Village 2016.03.19.jpg|thumb|right|Terraced cottages at Tebay built for railway workers and their families, as seen from the West Coast Main Line in 2016]]
▲'''Tebay
==
Prior to arrival of the railways, the ___location had a population of six people. The station was built by the L&CR in 1846, which was absorbed by the [[London and North Western Railway]] (LNWR) in 1879. The station was rebuilt in 1861 jointly as the western terminus of the [[South Durham & Lancashire Union Railway]] (SD&LR) - itself absorbed by the [[North Eastern Railway (UK)|North Eastern Railway]] (NER) - to make its eastward journey to connect with the [[Stockton & Darlington Railway]] near [[Bishop Auckland]], and hence onwards to [[Durham, England|Durham]]. From 1861 the [[Ingleton Branch Line]] of the [[Lancaster and Carlisle Railway]] connecting via the [[Midland Railway]] to [[Settle, North Yorkshire|Settle]] and [[Leeds]], entered the main line at the south end of the Lune Gorge.
The railway companies provided much employment for local people and this brought about the construction of housing to accommodate the increased population. Still central to the village today is the Railway Club, whilst two railway built pubs still also exist. The local Junction Hotel is now flats but once had dance halls.
* {{cite book | author=Walton, Peter | title=The Stainmore & Eden Valley Railways| year=1992| publisher=Oxford Publishing Co. | id=ISBN 978-0-86093-306-9}}▼
A steam locomotive shed was located on the west side of the line just south of the station and provided [[bank engine|banking locomotive]] assistance for heavy trains on the steep 1 in 75 gradient to the nearby [[Shap summit]]. The shed was closed in 1968, shortly before steam locomotives were entirely withdrawn from [[British Railways]] main line scheduled services.
* {{cite book | author=Butt, R.V.J. | title=The Directory Of Railway Stations| year=1995| publisher=Patrick Stephens Limited | id=ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7}}▼
==Accidents==
* {{cite book | title=British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas And Gazetteer| year=1958/1997| publisher=Ian Allan Publishing | id=ISBN 978-0-7110-0320-0}}▼
On 15 February 2004, four men carrying out maintenance work on the line were struck and killed by a runaway wagon in the [[Tebay rail accident]]. Three years later, the [[Grayrigg rail crash]] happened on 23 February 2007 between [[Oxenholme]] and Tebay.
==Cessation as a junction==
Britain's railways were nationalised on 1 January 1948.{{sfn|Hedges|1981|pp=88, 113–114}} In the early 1950s [[British Railways]] divided control of the former SD&LR between the North Eastern and London Midland regions, with Kirkby Stephen as the boundary.{{sfn|Walton|1992|p=189}} Local passenger trains were withdrawn between Kirkby Stephen and Tebay on 1 December 1952,{{sfn|Hoole|1974|p=136}} although steam-hauled summer Saturday services from the north-east to Blackpool continued to use the route until the end of the 1961 holiday season.<ref>British Railways North Eastern Region Timetable, Summer 1961, table 50</ref> Freight was diverted via Newcastle and Carlisle from July 1960, and the last train ran on 20 January 1962.{{sfn|Walton|1992|p=192}} The passenger service was withdrawn on the remaining section of the former SD&LUR between Bishop Auckland and Barnard Castle on 12 June 1962.{{sfn|Hoole|1974|p=137}} Following publication of [[Dr Beeching]] report, the line closed completely on 5 April 1965.{{sfn|Hoole|1974|p=136}} Today the [[A685 road|A685]] runs over much of the former SD&LR trackbed east towards [[Kirkby Stephen]].
The Ingleton Branch Line had always suffered from low traffic, whilst its major industrial customers all ceased operation in the 1930s.{{sfn|Pearsall|1954|p=392}} After rail nationalisation in 1948, it was uneconomical to operate both the Ingleton Line and the parallel Settle–Carlisle Line, and so on 30 January 1954 the Ingleton line closed to passenger traffic.{{sfn|Western|1990|p=67}} Goods traffic continued until 1 October 1964, and the route maintained as a possible relief route until April 1967, when the tracks were lifted.{{sfn|Western|1990|pp=68–69}}
==Closure==
The end of junction traffic at the station resulted in the adjoining Victorian railway-boom village reducing in size by 150 people. The closure of the former steam shed brought further reductions in population and hence passengers. After closure of the station in 1968 the station buildings and platforms were demolished in the early 1970s, prior to the electrification of the route.
No trace of the station now remains, although the down goods loop and several sidings are still in place for use by engineering trains for Shap.
==References==
{{reflist}}
===Bibliography===
{{refbegin}}
▲* {{cite book |
▲* {{cite book | title=British Railways Pre-Grouping Atlas And Gazetteer| orig-year=1958
*{{cite book|editor-last=Hedges|editor-first=Martin|title=150 years of British Railways|year=1981|publisher=Hamyln|isbn=0-600-37655-9}}
*{{cite book|last=Hoole|first=K.|title=A Regional History of the Railways of Great Britain: Volume IV The North East|year=1974|publisher=David & Charles|isbn=0715364391}}
* {{cite magazine| last=Pearsall| first=A.W.H.| date=June 1954| editor-last=Cooke| editor-first=B.W.C.| title=The Ingleton Branch| magazine=The Railway Magazine| ___location=Westminster| publisher=Tothill Press| volume=100| issue=638}}
▲* {{cite book |
* {{cite book| last=Western| first=Robert| year=1990| title=The Ingleton Branch| publisher=Oakwood Press| ___location=Oxford| isbn=0-85361-394-X}}
{{refend}}
==External links==
*[http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/t/tebay/index.shtml Disused Stations: Tebay]
{{Disused Rail Start}}
{{rail line
|next=[[Gaisgill railway station|Gaisgill]]
|route=[[South Durham & Lancashire Union Railway]]
|col=964B00}}
{{Historical Rail Insert}}
{{rail line
|next=[[Shap railway station|Shap]]
{{end box}}▼
|previous=[[Low Gill railway station|Low Gill]]
|route=[[London and North Western Railway]]<br /><small>[[Lancaster and Carlisle Railway]]</small>
[[Category:Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom]]▼
|col={{LNWR colour}} }}
[[Category:Railway stations in Cumbria]]▼
{{rail line
|previous=[[Low Gill railway station|Low Gill]]
|route=[[London and North Western Railway]]<br /><small>[[Ingleton Branch Line]]</small>
|col={{LNWR colour}} }}
{{Closed stations Cumbria}}
[[Category:Railway stations in Great Britain closed in 1968]]
[[Category:Beeching closures in England]]
[[Category:Former Lancaster and Carlisle Railway stations]]
[[Category:1846 establishments in England]]
[[Category:Tebay]]
|