Earl Fitzwilliam's private railway station: Difference between revisions

Content deleted Content added
Tudorminstrel (talk | contribs)
No edit summary
m Sources: Spaces
 
(34 intermediate revisions by 21 users not shown)
Line 1:
{{Short description|Railway station in Barnsley, England}}
Probably the most unusual railway station in South Yorkshire was the '''private railway station of Earl Fitzwilliam''' situated at the upper end of the [[Elsecar]] branch of the [[Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway]]. It was opened in [[1870]].
{{Use dmy dates|date=August 2017}}
{{Use British English|date=August 2017}}
{{Infobox station
| name = Earl Fitzwilliam (private)
| status = Disused
| image =
| borough = [[Elsecar]], [[Metropolitan Borough of Barnsley|Barnsley]]
| country = England
| coordinates = {{coord|53.49417|-1.41950|type:railwaystation_region:GB|display=inline,title}}
| grid_name = [[Ordnance Survey National Grid|Grid reference]]
| grid_position = {{gbmapscaled|SK386998|25|SK386998}}
| years = Opened
| events = 1870
| years1 = Closed
| events1 = ?
}}
Probably'''Earl theFitzwilliam's most unusualprivate railway station''' inis Southa Yorkshireformer was the '''[[private railway station]] ofin Earl[[South Fitzwilliam'''Yorkshire]], [[England]], situated at the upper end of the [[Elsecar]] branch of the [[Manchester,South Sheffield and LincolnshireYorkshire Railway]]. It was opened in [[1870]].
 
The station was opened in 1870, after the line passed to the [[Manchester, Sheffield and Lincolnshire Railway]] and was used by the Earl's parties visiting the [[St. Leger]] race meeting at Doncaster. The Earl's parties were conveyed by coach from [[Wentworth Woodhouse]] to the station to join these trains which were known, and shown in railway publications as "E.F.W. Specials".
The station, still standing is included within the site of the [[Elsecar Heritage Museum]].
Works records of Elsecar show that these trains ran until 'the early years of the 20th century'. The M.S.& L.R. issued a 'Royal Standard' to the station to be flown when royalty was included in the party.
 
The station was also host to other trains not connected to the St. Leger race meeting or usage by Earl Fitzwilliam. These were the seaside excursions operated for the pleasure of the villagers which were a regular feature of the summers before the [[First World War]]. Because of the length of journey and the suitability of the junction, meeting the main line in that direction, [[Cleethorpes]] was a popular destination.
[[Category:Disused railway stations in South Yorkshire]]
 
[[Category:Transport in South Yorkshire]]
The building was of two storeys, the upper storey containing a waiting/drawing room where the Earl entertained his guests prior to departure. Still standing, the station is included within the site of the [[Elsecar Heritage Centre]]. The first mile of the line, northwards from the Heritage Centre toward [[Cortonwood]], has been re-laid after it was closed in 1983 with the closure of Elsecar Main Colliery and is now operated by the [[Elsecar Steam Railway]]. The remainder of the line, from Cortonwood to Elsecar Junction near [[Brampton Bierlow|Brampton]], was closed after the closure of Cortonwood colliery in 1985, and the track lifted.
 
== Sources ==
"Earl Fitzwilliam's Private Railway Station" by D. L. Franks. ''"Forward"'', The journal of the Great Central Railway Society. {{ISSN|0141-4488}}
 
[[Category:Disused railway stations in South YorkshireBarnsley]]
[[Category:Private railway stations]]
[[Category:Railway stations in Great Britain opened in 1870]]
[[Category:Hoyland]]