Herring Cove: Difference between revisions

Content deleted Content added
I added that the "pile of rocks" is actually a monument for George Brown, as i am a Herring Cive native.
mNo edit summary
Line 1:
'''Herring Cove, Nova Scotia''', [[Canada]],(2001 atpop.: 44°34';1,530) [[Latitude|North]]is and 63°33';a [[LatitudeCanada|WestCanadian]], is asuburban community located 15 km southwest of centralin [[Halifax, Nova Scotia|Halifax]] at the mouth of's [[Halifax Harbour]]Regional Municipality, and at the intersection of [[Nova Scotia]] collector highways [[Nova Scotia Highway 253|#Halifax 253]]Regional and [[Nova Scotia Highway 349|# 349Municipality]].
 
The community is situated on the eastern shore of the [[Chebucto Peninsula]], 15 kilometres south of [[Downtown Halifax]]. It is near the western approaches to [[Halifax Harbour]].
The area was known by the local [[Mi'kmaq]] aboriginal people as "Moolipchugechk" meaning a 'deep chasm or gorge', possibly due to the long deep cove or nearby rocky cliffs. European settlement in the area occurred following the settlement of Halifax, sometime around [[1790]].
 
==History==
On [[November 24]] [[1797]], the frigate [[HMS Tribune]] ran aground on nearby [[shoals]]. Only 12 of the ship's 250 passengers and crew survived. The rescue was orchestrated by 13-year old Herring Cove resident [[Joe Cracker]] who rallied the community to the ship's aid and rescued the first two passengers in his small dory. There is a monument to Cracker at Tribune Head.
 
The area was known by the local [[Mi'kmaq|Mi'kmaq Nation]] aboriginal people as "Moolipchugechk," meaning a 'deep chasm or gorge', possibly due to the long deep cove or nearby rocky cliffs. European settlement in the area occurred following the settlement of Halifax, sometime around [[1790]]. Many current residents are the descendants of original [[Irish-Catholic]] settlers to the area.
Early surveyor's maps list the community as Dunk Cove, named for [[George Montague-Dunk, 2nd Earl of Halifax]], also the namesake of the nearby city. The present name has been attributed to either the surname of early settlers, or the abundance of [[herring]] in the [[cove]]. Along with the rest of [[Halifax County, Nova Scotia|Halifax County]], Herring Cove became part of the [[Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia|Halifax Regional Municipality]] (HRM) in 1996.
 
On [[November 24]], [[1797]], the frigate [[HMS Tribune]] ran aground on nearby [[shoals]]. Only 12 of the ship's 250 passengers and crew survived. The rescue was orchestrated by 13-year old Herring Cove resident [[Joe Cracker]] who rallied the community to the ship's aid and rescued the first two passengers in his small dory. There is a monument to Cracker at nearby Tribune Head which is named after the wreck.
Although traditionally a fishing community as the name implies, during the past fifty years it has become populated with commuters who work in Halifax. Still, many residents are descendants of original [[Irish-Catholic]] settlers.
 
Early surveyor's maps list the community as Dunk Cove, named for [[George Montague-Dunk, 2nd Earl of Halifax]], also the namesake of the nearby city. The present name has been attributed to either the surname of early settlers, or the abundance of [[herring]] in the [[cove]]. Along with the rest of [[Halifax County, Nova Scotia|Halifax County]], Herring Cove became part of the [[Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia|Halifax Regional Municipality]] (HRM) in 1996.
 
As a rural unincorporated community, Herring Cove was part of the [[Halifax County, Nova Scotia|Municipality of the County of Halifax]] until [[April 1]], [[1996]] when all municipalities in the county were amalgamated into the [[Halifax Regional Municipality, Nova Scotia|Halifax Regional Municipality]] (HRM). Today, Herring Cove's economy is dictated not by the fishery, but by its proximity to the HRM's urban core. Several subdivisions have been built in recent decades, leading to the decision by the [[Halifax Regional Water Commission]] in February [[2007]] to extend municipal water and sanitary sewage service to the area.
Tall rugged granite cliffs overlook the Atlantic Ocean in all directions. This area, known as "The Look-off" has become a very popular place to hike and picnic. At the highest point on the cliffs (about 100 ft. above sea level, though only a few feet inland), there is an unfinished monument, which is made up of a pile of rocks in memory of George Brown, an Olympic Rower. From here there is a spectacular panoramic view of the ocean and as far as Fairview on one side and Eastern Passage on the other, not to mention the perfect view of the passing of all sorts of ships from cruise ships to the world's largest tankers, as well as the daily flow of recreational sailors.
 
The community is at the intersection of [[Nova Scotia Highway 253|Highway 253]] and [[Nova Scotia Highway 349|Highway 349]], local roads servicing the southeastern side of the Chebucto Peninsula.
 
There are several hiking trails in the community; one to "The Look-off" has become a popular place to picnic. At the highest point on the cliffs (30 metres above sea level), there is an unfinished monument constructed of a pile of rocks in memory of George Brown, an Olympic rowing athlete. The Look-off affords a panoramic view of the entrance to Halifax Harbour north to Halifax and east to [[Eastern Passage, Nova Scotia|Eastern Passage]].
The population in [[2001]] was 1,530.
 
{{coor title dms|44|34|16|N|63|33|30|W}}
 
[[Category:Communities in the Halifax Regional Municipality]]
{{NovaScotia-geo-stub}}
[[Category:Coves]]