Content deleted Content added
move unref template to top to allow better appearance |
No edit summary |
||
Line 3:
'''St John the Baptist Church''' in [[Reid, Australian Capital Territory|Reid]], is the oldest church in [[Canberra]], Australia. It is also the oldest building in the area of Canberra city. It is sited at the corner of [[ANZAC Parade, Canberra|ANZAC Parade]] and [[Constitution of Australia|Constitution]] Avenue.
St John's is an [[Anglican]] church, and is oriented East-West with the nave to the west and the main entrance (with [[choir]] [[loft]] and [[Organ (music)|organ]] above) to the east. The foundation stone was laid in 1841, with the church being consecrated on 12 March 1845 by [[William Grant Broughton]], the first and only Bishop of Australia. The St John's churchyard was also consecrated the same year - Canberra's original graveyard, and it was also the site of Canberra's first school, which is now the Schoolhouse Museum. Then graveyard includes the gravers of many pioneers of the Canberra district, such as [[Colonel John Gibbes]], who occupied Yarralumla homestead from 1859 until his death 14 years later, and was a reputed illegtiimate son of a Royal Duke.
The church was built in three stages:
|