Content deleted Content added
No edit summary |
|||
Line 99:
Since the club's foundation, Chelsea have had four main crests, though all underwent minor variations. In 1905, Chelsea adopted as its first crest the image of a Chelsea pensioner, which obviously contributed to the ''pensioner'' [[nickname]], and remained for the next half-century, though it never appeared on the shirts. As part of new manager [[Ted Drake]]'s modernisation of the club from [[1952]], he insisted that the pensioner badge be removed from the match day programme in order to change the club's image and that a new crest be adopted. As a stop-gap, a temporary emblem comprising simply the initials C.F.C. was adopted for one year. In [[1953]], the club adopted what is arguably its most famous crest - that of an upright blue [[lion]] looking backwards and holding a [[staff]] - which was to endure for the next three decades. The crest was based on elements in the [[coat of arms]] of the [[Metropolitan Borough of Chelsea]] (discussed and illustrated [http://www.civicheraldry.co.uk/lcc.html#chelsea%20bc on this website]) with the "lion rampant regardant" taken from the arms of then club president [[Earl Cadogan|Viscount Chelsea]] and the staff from the [[Westminster Abbey|Abbots of Westminster]], former Lords of the Manor of Chelsea. This was also the first club badge to appear on shirts, since the policy of putting the crest on the shirts was only adopted in the early 1960's.
In [[1986]], with new owners now at the club, Chelsea's crest was changed again as part of another attempt to modernise and to capitalise on new [[marketing]] opportunities, because new Chairman
==Current players==
|