Trams in Dnipro: Difference between revisions

Content deleted Content added
units
Line 18:
[[Image:Dnepropetrovsk 9766s.JPG |left|thumb|Queuing for a tram in Central Dnipropetrovsk. December 2005]]
 
The Yekaterinoslav tram was opened on 27 June 1897 (according to the modern [[Gregorian calendar]] and 14 June according to the [[Julian calendar]]).<ref name="2365249dnipriretro"/> At the time of opening it was is the third tram system operating in the [[Russian Empire]] (its predecessors were [[Kyiv Tram]] and [[Trams in Nizhny Novgorod|Nizhny Novgorod Tram]]).<ref name="2365249dnipriretro">{{in lang|uk}} [https://www.ukrinform.ua/rubric-tourism/2365249-u-dnipri-vidkrili-pamatnij-znak-retro-tramvaj.html Memorial sign "Retro tram" opened in Dnipro], [[Ukrinform]] (15 December 2017)</ref> The construction and operation was provided by the Belgian company ''Tramways électriques d'Ekaterinoslaw''. By the end of 1897, two million people had been transported.<ref name="2365249dnipriretro"/> The initial tram system was based on [[metre{{Track gauge|1000&nbsp;mm gauge]]1000mm|lk=|allk=on}} and included 3<ref name="2365249dnipriretro"/> tram lines starting from the Catherine the Great Avenue (modern name is Dmytro Yavornytskyi Avenue). The routes were:<ref name="2365249dnipriretro"/>
* Steamboat hithe – Proviant str. (Paster Street) – Catherine the Great ave. (Dmytro Yavornytskyi ave.);
* Jordan str (Kotsyubynskyi str.) – Karaimska str (Shyrshov str);
* Catherine the Great ave. (Dmytro Yavornytskyi ave.) – Alexander str (Sichovykh striltsiv str) – Big Market str.
On 21 April 1906, an alternative tram network was opened in Yekaterinoslav.<ref name="1000rozvitoksamovriaduvannia">{{in lang|uk}} [https://oblrada.dp.gov.ua/region/istoria-rozvitok-samovriaduvannia/ HISTORY AND DEVELOPMENT OF LOCAL SELF-GOVERNMENT], [[Dnipropetrovsk Oblast Council]]</ref> It was also based on 1000&nbsp;mm railway{{Track gauge|1000mm|lk=|allk=on}}. In 1918, the operating companies merged, as well as the tram networks. In 1931, the tram depot included 177 trams, and the network length reached {{Cvt|65&nbsp;|km}}. On 6 November 1932, the tracks were converted from narrow gauge to Russian gauge. The conversion was completed by 1948.
 
In the years between 1970 and 1990, the rolling stock was changed for cars from [[ČKD]] Tatra. Later, the tramcars were also produced on the premises of Pivdenmash. By 1996, the rolling stock included about 400 trams, the overall ridership was 115 million passenger per year. By that time 19 tram lines existed.