Content deleted Content added
→History: Changing Robert Whitehead to Robert Whitehead (engineer). WP:POSTMOVE, replaced: [[Robert Whitehead → [[Robert Whitehead (engineer)|Robert Whitehead |
m →History: switch http(s)://www.navsource.org → http://www.navsource.net or {{navsource}}; |
||
Line 23:
In 1932, the [[Bureau of Ordnance]] (BuOrd) initiated development of the TDC with [[Arma Corporation]] and [[Ford Instruments]].<ref name="Holwitt, p.147">Holwitt, p.147.</ref> This culminated in the "very complicated" Mark 1 in 1938.<ref name="Holwitt, p.147"/> This was retrofitted into older boats, beginning with {{USS|Dolphin|SS-169|2}} and up through the newest {{sclass|Salmon|submarine|5}}s.<ref name="Holwitt, p.147"/>
The first submarine designed to use the TDC was {{USS|Tambor|SS-198|2}},<ref name=Tambor>{{cite web | last = Mohl | first = Michael | title = Tambor (SS-198) |
In 1943, the Torpedo Data Computer Mark IV was developed to support the [[Mark 18 torpedo|Mark 18]] torpedo.<ref name=Mk18>The Mark 18 was electric and therefore wakeless and difficult for surface forces to trace. On the downside, it was slower than the Mark 14. This made it more difficult to aim accurately because larger gyro angles were involved. Even so, thousands of them were fired during WWII.</ref><ref name=clearMk18>{{harvnb|O'Kane|1977|p=221}}</ref>
|