St. Genevieve Church: Difference between revisions

Content deleted Content added
ChicogoN (talk | contribs)
ChicogoN (talk | contribs)
Line 62:
Father Roth was transferred to [[Kenner]] at the end of 1912. Then the Rev. Francis Balay, [[O.S.B.]], was named visiting priest for Bonfouca in 1913, coming from St. Joseph Abbey, where he was still teaching [[French]] to the seminarians. <ref name="baudier"/>
 
===Bell hung from Oakoak Treetree===
 
Under his direction, Bonfouca revived. When he first came, Father Balay found the steeple on the historic chapel had disappeared and the old bell had been hung to the branch of a great oak nearby. The rectory too was in bad shape. But before attempting anything, Father Balay visited every family in the area, regardless of race, then on August 10, 1913, he offered Mass for them in Bonfouca. All Catholics of the vicinity attended and a large number approached the sacraments.