National University of San Marcos

This is an old revision of this page, as edited by 65.32.220.24 (talk) at 20:05, 3 February 2006 (Famous UNMSM alumni). The present address (URL) is a permanent link to this revision, which may differ significantly from the current revision.

National University of San Marcos

National University of San Marcos seal

Motto Universidad Abierta al Futuro (University towards future)
Latin Name Academia san marci vibris regum in Peru
Spanish Name Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos (UNMSM)
Established May 12, 1551 as University of San Marcos; closed during the Independence in 1821 and during the War of the Pacific in 1879
School type Public, general
Rector magnificus Manuel Burga Díaz
Location Lima City, Peru
Enrollment As of 2002, 29710 undergraduate , 3549 postgraduate
Faculty 2559 (full time) 674 (part time)
Campus Urban (main campus) also called Ciudad Universitaria.
Campus size 0.69 km² (main campus)
Mascot Lion
Colors Magenta,White,Steel blue
Homepage (Spanish) (en)

National University of San Marcos (Spanish: Universidad Nacional Mayor de San Marcos (UNMSM), or simply San Marcos) is a public university in Lima, Peru. It was founded in 1551, and such is the oldest university in the continental mainland of the Americas. While its historical campus is situated in downtown Lima, most academic activities take place at the modern Ciudad Universitaria.

The university is the most respected institution of higher learning in the country and is considered the leading center of scientific investigation as well.

History

San Marcos was established on May 12, 1551 by an order of Dominican friars headed by Fray Thomas de San Martin. It was subsequently officially recognized by royal decree of Charles I of Spain and the papal bull of Pius V in 1571. Classes commenced on January 2, 1553, in the Convento del Rosario; the faculty consisted of Andrés Cianca and Corona Cosme Carrillo, and was led by Fray Juan Bautista de La Roca.

UNMSM was originally located in the Convent of Rosario of the Dominicans. Later, it was moved to a ___location adjacent to the Augustinians convent San Marcelo. In 1575, it was moved again to the Plaza del Estanque later called Plaza de la Inquisición, where the Congress of Peru is currently located. The city's rapid growth as consequence of the 19th century industrial revolution and of president Manuel Pardo's efforts to develop and improve Lima's urban planning during the 1870s moved San Marcos' campus to a new ___location contiguous to an old Jesuit monastery called Convictorio de San Carlos; this campus is now referred to as the Parque Universitario. Finally in the 1960s, it was moved to its present ___location, the modern campus Ciudad Universitaria.

The Faculty of Medicine, also known as San Fernando (named after Ferdinand VII of Spain), was established during the viceroy's Francisco de Toledo's administration in 1573; however this faculty belongs to Department of Health Sciences is also considered as the second campus also called Local San Fernando. Originally it too was located at the Plaza del Estanque until the 1860s when it moved to Avendida Grau, still in downtown Lima.

Logos

Since its founding in 1550s, San Marcos's identifying symbols changed over the years, although the main pattern has been consistently maintained.

File:Unmsm-early1500.PNG
The 1574 version of the original University seal: Saint Mark writing at a desk, a lion, three crowns, and the Latin phrase "Plus ultra".

From its founding until 1574, the university's first official seal featured an icon of the "Virgen del Rosario" (Virgin of the Rosary), patron saint of the Dominican friars; at the right was an represention of the Pacific Ocean and on the bottom a lime (fruit) (that is, the fruit, which in Spanish is una lima, hence Lima, Peru). The logo was approved by King Charles I of Spain in 1551. By the late 1570s and after a papal bull of Pope Pius V, the seal was modified, replacing the icon of Virgen del Rosario with Saint Mark. It is uncertain which colors were used on this seal, because documents in the 16th century were only black and white paper prints. It wasn't until 1929 when the colors—blue for the ocean, black or brown for the saint's icon, a light blue background, and silver for columns—became popular. This logo was the longest-enduring symbol of the university: it was used for almost four and a half centuries, until the late 1980s, when it was improved for the second generation logo.

File:Unmsm-seal-1990s.jpg
The second logo improved the seal's round shape, modified the angel pattern and made clear its wings, among other modifications.

The first logo was revised and lightly improved in the early 1990s, and it was fully improved on May 12, 1991, when university celebrated its 440th anniversary. Major changes were made to the angel's shape and its wings, but the main pattern remained unchanged. This logo gained quickly popularity, hence it survived all the decade. This seal featured the same colors as were used since late 1920s, but the black and white version is known by almost all graduate students of those days. This seal was improved for the third generation logo in early 2000s.

File:Unmsm.gif
The third logo added light computer-generated imagery effects; the RGB color model was used and golden effects were added for seal's frame and shade in background.
File:Unmsm-450anniversary.PNG
The National University of San Marcos's 450th anniversary seal. The same elements were used for the third generation seal in early 2000; it added a red background and golden frame for the number 450.

The third generation logo used today was released in early 2000s. It became official on May 12 2001 when University celebrated its 450th Anniversary; at the same time a special logo was made for this year, which was used throughout 2001 and 2002. Since it was introduced in early 2000 this logo has been the university's official symbol, and is widely used on media advertisements.

Oldest university

There is apparently controversy regarding the claim that San Marcos is the oldest university in the Americas, alghough it is almost certainly the oldest on the continental mainland. San Marcos is known as Decana de América ("decana" translating as "dean" in the sense of "oldest member"). There are other universities that claim such title including Autonomous University of Santo Domingo which regards itself as Primada de América. But documents and thesis based on historical records support San Marcos as being the oldest and formally the first university founded in New World.

File:Unmsm-postal.PNG
Peruvian postal service made a commemorative stamp in 2001 for San Marcos's University, it features the third generation logo.

San Marcos Decana de América.

Organization

The university was originally headed by members of the clergy; during the Enlightenment, Bourbon reforms transformed it into a secular institution. The university is governed by:

 
Department of Chemistry at San Marcos.
  • A rector magnificus
  • Two vice-rectors
  • The university assembly (composed of professors and students, with the latter holding a third of the seats).

The original faculties at San Marcos were Theology, Arts and Law; Jurisprudence, and Medicine were added later in the colonial period. The Faculty of Natural Sciences and the Faculty of Economics and Commerce were created in the mid-19th century. The Faculty of Science was subdivided by specialities in the 20th century. The Faculty of Theology was closed in 1935.

In the mid-1990s San Marcos's departments were grouped into four academic blocks, as shown below.

Famous UNMSM alumni

References

  • "National University of San Marcos -History and general reference". Official university site. February 3. {{cite web}}: Check date values in: |date= and |year= / |date= mismatch (help) Template:Es icon
  • Template:Journal reference Template:Es icon