Egisto Bracci

This is an old revision of this page, as edited by Yobot (talk | contribs) at 10:31, 9 June 2013 (WP:CHECKWIKI error fixes, added orphan tag using AWB (9241)). The present address (URL) is a permanent link to this revision, which may differ significantly from the current revision.

Egisto Bracci (Florence, January 1, 1830 – August, 1909) was an Italian architect, active mainly in Florence, and who became resident professor of architecture at the Academy of Fine Arts of Florence in 1879.[1]

He was a colleague of Dario Guidotti in early education; by age 16 he was apprenticed to the studio of the architect Giovan Battista Silvestri and then with Enrico Presenti. He worked on projects to decorate the stations of the railroad route of Montevarchi-Arezzo and the mines of Tana. Afterward he worked with engineer Del Noce, who was transforming the Palazzo Paggeschi, the Hôtel della Pace in Piazza Manin (now Piazza Ognissanti). he also worked on the refurbishing of the inn, now Albergo Montebello.

He became a volunteer in the first war of independence, but had to withdraw when he became ill. He returned to Florence, where he worked in 1854 in the care of those afflicted during a cholera epidemi. Working independently he designed what is now the Palazzo Levi, for the Baron of Vaguonville at Piazza Vittorio Veneto. He also designed the stables for the banchiere Du Fresne in the fondaci di Santo Spirito,[2] The Palazzo of Ernesto Levi in Piazza Indipendenza, as well as other buildings for the Levi family.[3] He designed the Palazzo Sariette in via Calzaioli. Later in life he was knighted by the Kingdom of Italy.

References

  1. ^ Dizionario degli Artisti Italiani Viventi: pittori, scultori, e Architetti., by Angelo de Gubernatis. Tipe dei Successori Le Monnier, 1889, page 74.
  2. ^ Entry in Treccani Encyclopedia, Dizionario Biografico degli Italiani - Volume 13 (1971) by Marco Dezzi Bardeschi.
  3. ^ Including the villino Levi in San Domenico di Fiesole.

Template:Persondata